5 Reasons to Do Chair Yoga
- Chair Yoga is highly accessible practice. It’s appropriate for all levels and all ages, beginners included. All you need is your lovely self and a chair. Doesn’t get much easier than that!
- Chair Yoga can be practiced anywhere i.e. in the office, in the airport, at home, in the car, watching TV, at the beach, at a desk, etc. Wherever you find yourself in a chair, there is potential to whip out some Chair Yoga poses.
- Chair Yoga is a highly restorative practice. For those in recovery from injury or illness, this practice is perfect for you. It’s calming, healing, supportive, and safe.
- Chair Yoga decreases stress and releases tension. It’s a great tool to have on hand when you’re in a high stress environment i.e. the office, the airport, etc.
- Chair Yoga is a great practice for off days - those days when you’re too tired or too sore to get in your typical vigorous practice, but still want to get in a feel-good, relaxing practice.
If you’re not familiar with Chair Yoga, we’ve got some short, simple, and sweet free online yoga videos for you to check out with Margaux Permutt.
For a tension releasing Chair Yoga Break, practice Margaux’s Neck Opening video. Moving on down, test out a video working the shoulders, elbows, and wrists. For a juicy hammy stretch, see Chair Yoga Break: Hamstring Stretch and Chair Yoga Break: Hamstrings and Lower Back. For an energizing and cleansing experience, enjoy a Chair Yoga Pick Me Up.
Margaux also offers a 28-minute, simple Chair Yoga Break, targeting the neck, shoulders, and wrists. This online yoga class was designed for those of us who spend a lot of time sitting, driving, or at a computer. It aims to open up the joints in the shoulders and wrists while stretching the delicate muscles in the neck. This practice is done mostly seated in a chair (really?) and is suitable for all, even people with knee or ankle injuries who have trouble standing. All you need is a chair (obvious?) and a towel or yoga mat (for when you lie on the floor).
What’s the hold up? Go grab your favorite chair. Take a seat. Get pumped. It’s Chair Yoga time, baby.
Stretch it out. Release your tension. Revitalize Energy. Feel renewed.